default config not in /etc [was: policy for shipping sysctl.d snippets in packages?]

Le 23/04/2017 à 19:48, Josh Triplett a écrit :
> Evgeni Golov wrote:
>> My gut feeling is that droping the file to /usr/lib and allowing the admin
>> to override it later via /etc. And then load it in postinst.
>
> That seems like exactly the right approach, and yes, you should put it
> in /usr/lib/50-yourpackagename.conf , following the conventions
> explicitly established for that purpose.  That makes it easy for the
> sysadmin to override *either* by directly creating a file with the same
> name in /etc *or* by adding a file later in the sequence to tweak
> individual settings, both of which can easily be done in packages for
> sysadmins who want to package their configuration tweaks.

  It is very easy to override, yes. But, once done, it is very difficult
to know that a modification is done in /usr/lib/* that must be adapted
to the overriding /etc/* file.
  For me, this is a major regression over the 'all config is in /etc'
that has been pushed by Debian for a long time.

  Moreover, my /etc is tracked by etckeeper (and this save me several
times). Files in /usr/lib/* with the default configuration are not
(and there is even no way to 'automatically know where they are).
  On several of my systems, I moved /lib/systemd to /etc/something and
created a symlink from /lib/systemd to /etc/something so that
etckeeper track the default configuration on my system. It is a pity
that the same thing should be done more and more now.

  Perhaps, Debian can try to standardize this (for future releases),
for example asking to put the default config files in a central
place (with symlinks if required), for example /etc/default-config
or even /lib/default-config and/or /usr/lib/default-config.
  So we can imagine programs (such as etckeeper) that will track this
(these) directory(ies) and dpkg/apt hooks that can tell the admin
that a default config file has been modified when a override file
as been installed in /etc.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA