init system agnosticism [WAS: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system]

On 17.02.2015 18:49, The Wanderer wrote:

Hi folks,

just digging out an older thread that was still laying around in my
inbox - w/ about 2yrs distance, I hope it was enough cool down time
so we discuss it more objectively about that.

<snip>

> libsystemd0 is not a startup method, or an init system. It's a shared
> library which permits detection of whether systemd (and the
> functionality which it provides) is present.

>From a sw architects pov, I've got a fundamental problem w/ that
appraoch: we'll have lots of sw that somehow has 'magically'
additional functionality if some other sw (in that case systemd)
happens to run.

The official description is: "The libsystemd0 library provides
interfaces to various systemd components." But what does that mean ?
Well, more or less a catchall for anything that somehow wants to
communicate w/ systemd. What this is actually for, isn't clear at all
at that point - you'll have to read the code yourself to find out.
And new functionality can be added anytime, and sooner or later some
application will start using it. So, at least anybody who maintains
and systemd-free environment (eg. platforms that dont even have it)
needs run behind them and keep up.

Certainly, systemd has a lot of fancy features that many people like,
but also many people dislike (even for exactly the same reaons).
The current approach adds a lot of extra load on the community and
causes unnecessary conflicts.

So, why don't we just ask, what kind of functionality do applications
really want (and what's the actual goal behind), and then define open
interfaces, that can be easily implemented anywhere ?

After looking at several applications, the most interesting part seems
to be service status reporting. Certainly an interesting issue that
deserves some standardization (across all unixoid OS'es). There're lots
of ways to do that under the hood - even without having to talk to some
central daemon (eg. extending the classical pidfile approach to
statfiles, etc). All we need yet is an init-system/service-monitor
agnostic API, that can be easily implemented w/o extra hassle.
A simple reference implementation probably would just write some
statfiles and/or log to syslog, others could talk to some specific
service monitor.

Having such an API (in its own library), we'd already have most of
the problems here out of the way. Each init system / service monitor
setup comes with some implementation of that API, and applications
just depend on the corresponding package - everything else can be
easily handled by the existing package management infrastructure.
No need for recompiles (perhaps even no need to opt out in all the
individual packages).

The same can be done for all the other features currently used from
libsystemd, step by step.

Maintenance of these APIs (specification and reference implementation)
should be settled in an open community (perhaps similar to
freedesktop.org for the DE's), not in an individual init system /
service monitor project.

I really wonder why people spent so much time in init system wars,
instead of thinking clearly of the actual root problem to solve.

--mtx