Re: init system agnosticism [WAS: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system]

"Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <enrico.weigelt@gr13.net> writes:

> So, why don't we just ask, what kind of functionality do applications
> really want (and what's the actual goal behind), and then define open
> interfaces, that can be easily implemented anywhere ?

Who's we?

The people who are happy with systemd are, err, happy with systemd.  Most
of them aren't particularly interested in reinventing those wheels yet
again, given that they already have wheels that work pretty well.  Also,
the systemd interfaces look pretty open to me; you're entitled to
disagree with me, but I'm also entitled to disagree with *you* (and I do).

If you're trying to put together a development team of people to work on a
new init system, well, knock yourself out I guess, but I'm not sure this
is the best forum from which to try to recruit people.

I guess I'm confused about what you think this email will accomplish.  I
feel like it's just another round of being convinced that, since you
dislike systemd, everyone else must also somehow dislike systemd too, deep
down inside, and if you just find the right argument, all those people who
think they like systemd will realize that they actually don't and will
come help you build something else.  You're not going to get any farther
with this than the last dozen people who tried, and the constant attempts
are honestly kind of tiring and, human psychology being what it is,
probably make it even less likely that people will be willing to work on
some partial systemd replacement.

It would be nice if people would stop doing the same thing over and over
again and expecting different results.