Re: pro-tip: preinstall debhelper in your sbuild

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:09:37PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 24.03.2017 um 13:46 schrieb Adam Borowski:
> > Hi!
> > Thought I'd share a trick I'm using: as debhelper's dependencies chain became
> > really fat, you can gain a drastic speed-up (especially for small packages)
> > by preinstalling debhelper into your base sbuild/pbuilder/etc image.
>
> Installing debhelper (+dependencies) takes about 5s here (on a 6 year
> old laptop with SSD+eatmydata). Most of that time seems to be spent in
> man-db's postinst.
>
> I have no idea how you ended up with 1m13s

> > Thus, let's leave installing it over and over to those who build on
> > tmpfs; those of us on eMMC or nbd -- or even a regular SSD -- can get
                          ^^^^
> > this speed-up.

Also, I intentionally did the test in non-ideal circumstances: the machine
was loaded with its usual complement of running sbuild instances.  It wasn't
the worst case, either: both neighbours were doing CPUish parts, if they did
heavy I/O, installing debhelper would take far longer.

On an idle system, it's 31s.

The machine isn't that bad: despite being a four years old cheap SoC,
somehow Odroid-U3 (identical other than irrelevant doodads to my U2) happens
to be the best performing armhf machine Reproducible Builds use, despite some
others having much better specs on paper.

And my setup is faster than theirs:

* 4.9 kernel has problems:

CPU test: gcc -O2  for(int i=0;i<1048576*256;i++) rand();
I/O test: dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=1048576 count=20000

                     CPU     I/O
vendor 3.8           15s     51MB/s
Debian 4.9           18.8s   71MB/s
vanilla 4.11-rc2     15s     84MB/s

Part of CPU differences can be explained by
https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg1299278.html
but naively backporting just that patch brings that test only to 17.6s,
and obviously doesn't help with I/O.

* local eMMC is faster than NBD or USB

The above speeds are read, for _write_ I get only 8MB/s -- but then,
Odroid-U2/U3 have only 100Mbit ethernet, and really smelly USB so eMMC still
wins overall.

* btrfs

You don't usually hear of btrfs being fast, but here it wipes the floor with
ext4 and similar:
  • its usual nemesis, fsync, is dead.  Btrfs does fsyncs hideously slow, a
    pathological test like Postgres-on-xfs-in-VM can be ~10× slower
    than ext4/xfs/etc on regular disks -- but eatmydata means no fsync.
  • on SD/eMMC btrfs and f2fs perform writes of a bunch of source-sized
    files 4× faster than ext4 and 6× faster than xfs (test: git reset --hard
    in an empty kernel tree)
  • compress=lzo helps with highly-compressible files, to the tune of >2×
    speed on -g .o and dpkg's status files

Welcome to the land of optimizations on our slower architectures. :)

But then, you'll want to dismiss the above with "I have a fast amd64, I'm
above that".  Let's see, so your I/O is great, and tasks become CPU-bound.
Could you compile the following:
.----
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
    int i;
    for (i=0;i<1048576*256;i++)
        rand();
    return 0;
}
`----
with "gcc -O2" and time its execution?

On my old 2.8GHz 6x Phenom2 it takes 2.4s real.  Proportionally 15s*5/31
is just that, thus the ratio of single-core-CPU vs I/O is same.  And the
machine can take more sbuilds/higher parallelization.

Thus, while by absolute numbers, installing debhelper takes way less, so do
other parts of the build, thus proportionally it keeps being a big win.

--
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁