Re: systemd, ntp, kernel and hwclock

On Sat, 2017-03-04 at 20:33 +0000, Roger Lynn wrote:
> On 28/02/17 01:00, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 16:09 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > Right, ntpdate for some reason doesn't set the flag to do this.
> >
> > There is a very good reason, which is that without continuous
> > adjustment the system clock cannot be assumed more stable than the RTC.
>
> This doesn't make sense to me. Most users are probably not aware that there
> is a separate hardware RTC.

Most users don't know what ntpdate is, either.

> Why would one assume that the clock the user is not aware of is better than
> the clock the user can see and is presumably happy with?

*I* would assume that when a user sets the system clock through a high-
level UI, such as GNOME provides, that is the most accurate source of
information and the RTC should also be set.  But I would not assume
that the system clock *remains* very accurate after that point, which
is what the flag in question is supposed to indicate.

I would also expect that users running command-line tools to set the
time, such as ntpdate, have enough technical understanding to
distinguish the system clock and RTC.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
All the simple programs have been written, and all the good names