Re: De-Branding of Icedove, reintroducing Thunderbird packages into Debian

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 07:15:38PM +0100, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Am 15.02.2017 um 22:12 schrieb Adam Borowski:
> >> * Copy the contents of the old profile folder into the new folder ~/.icedove_moved_by_thunderbird_starter
> >
> > I see no deletion step.  This is bad for a couple of reasons:
> > * my .icedove takes north of 2GB (mostly imap cache of multiple servers),
> >   one of my users clocks above 7GB for a single server
> > * if you have some sensitive mail and delete it, you really don't want a
> >   copy to stick forever.  Especially if you then go through a border...
>
> there is a reason why we decided to not delete anything here that is
> related to the users scope. We don't want delete user files and
> configuration as the impact of a deleted folder or files is much bigger
> as not used backup of a folder. So we have to go into one direction in
> the end.
> And I don't see a needed discussion about that small issue as mostly
> every singe MP3 file is bigger than the common users profile folder for
> Mozilla Thunderbird.

I have yet to see a multi-gigabyte single MP3 file.  If you insist on this
extra backup, you could at least delete the IMAP cache -- for an IMAP-only
user this might indeed reduce the profile to something small.  For POP and
locally saved mails, though, this still wouldn't help.

Leaving an unknown to the user copy of mails is a major security hole, as
this is precisely the kind of data criminals[1] at the border are looking
for.  Following good general practice and having the disk encrypted is of no
help as they force you to enter your password, often with multi-year jail
time (UK) if you fail to comply.  Thus, data the user believes to be purged
must be actually purged, no hidden backups "just in case".

What about this: in your startup wrapper, check if
~/.icedove_moved_by_thunderbird_starter is present.  If it is, display a
nagging popup asking the user to verify if their mails are still present,
and if so, delete the directory.  This would fix both gigabytes of junk and
the privacy hole.

Or perhaps, just rename the directory silently.  That would bring no less
safety than previous upgrades that reused the directory name.

Or possibly make a symlink instead.

Meow!

[1]. In countries with no equivalent of US 4th Amendment the spooks don't
even have to break any laws, but that doesn't make your situation any
better.
--
Autotools hint: to do a zx-spectrum build on a pdp11 host, type:
  ./configure --host=zx-spectrum --build=pdp11