Re: changelog practice, unfinalised vs UNRELEASED vs ~version

Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> I really want something that will pass Lintian completely but that
>> dput will refuse to upload, which is what UNRELEASED currently
>> accomplishes.

> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> writes:

>> 1. I really dislike dch's enthusiasm for putting in 'UNRELEASED'. It
>> gives me nothing I wanted, and just provides the opportunity to really
>> do a final, clean, tested, build, only to find on upload that it's
>> still marked 'UNRELASED', and I have to do the build, test, upload
>> step again - for big packages that is a huge pain and happens way too
>> often.

> Those two positions seem incompatible as described.

> Can the two of you discuss further what it would take to reconcile
> what each of you wants from the changelog-adjacent tools?

As previously mentioned, it's configurable behavior of dch (which I don't
use anyway), so we can both be happy.  (I don't use dch anyway.)

Having to repeat the build and test cycle one last time when I'm ready to
upload is a *feature*, as far as I'm concerned, not a bug.  I use that
intentionally.

I'm pretty happy with the current workflow, so as long as no one breaks
it, I don't really have any worries.  :)  I have a mild preference against
messing about with it, since it already works for me, but if that happens,
I suppose I'll figure it out.