Re: IPv6 problem for one debian mirror

Hi Vincent (and anyone else reading this),

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 01:05:51AM +0100, Vincent Danjean wrote:
>   As a side note, it is really sad that APT imposes a 1min timeout
> for such problem. I proposed a patch in #668948 but never got any
> feedback :-(

You are like most people under the impression the APT team has a healthy
size and could stay on top of the incoming bugreports and even triage
older ones… but unfortunately we are not. The report isn't tagged as
including a patch so another "good" reason to get lost in our pile…
apt has earned and needs to defend its second place[0] after all… :(

It does sound similar to another bugreport I replied to "recently"
(#636871) talking about "Happy Eyeballs" (RFC6555) which seems like the
formalisation of your implementation – and that newcomer offer is still
up for grabs (as all others I have ever made, just saying…).

The patch itself looks a bit strange on first look regarding general
style, using environment variables instead of config options and I am
not a gigantic fan of 90% code copies of functions in the same file
(with a name diffing only in naming-styles…) – and it of course doesn't
apply cleanly anymore, but if you are still interested in working on
this we can surely work this all out. Just ping the bug with an updated
patch and I will work on a more detailed review.

Thanks in any case for report and initial patch and sorry for not
getting feedback in years from the fellowship of the cow!

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

[0] https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugs-by-source