Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!

On 04/02/17 13:23, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

On 01/30/2017 05:45 PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
I agree, they aren't as good.  However, they're very nearly as good, and
it's too common to overstate how good GitHub's workflow is.

Nearly as good? Where can I click 'merge' in a web gui in Debian???

Please, we should not have a flame war, should we?

And, this is not that simple.You do have a point in that the github interface is good for you and many others. OTOH, I actually prefer the commandline, and there are a few more on this list who also do. There just isn't a "good" UX, although there is "good for me" and "good for those who ..."

Another part of the equation: there *is* a point using free software, and github is not free.

So, in the best of worlds: something as easy as github for a certain class of users, and respecting the Debian workflow. IMHO, it will happen, but we are not there. In the meantime, we must find out if
the free tools we have are "good enough", which  I just don't know.

Because, as long as there is a free alternative, we prefer it in our workflow. Right?

Cheers!

--alec