Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Processed: reassign 853084 to xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin

Hi Guus,

Quoting Guus Sliepen (2017-01-30 11:29:17)
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 11:19:32AM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> > > Fredrik, the plugin already recommends pavucontrol (which recommends
> > > pulseaudio) so it should already have been installed unless you manually asked
> > >  not. But right, it might be a good idea to have a direct pulseaudio
> > > recommends .
> >
> > A pulseaudio plugin without a pulseaudio "Depends" seems rather pointless
>
> But xfce4 Depends on xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin. Maybe it is better if that
> became a Recommends then?

I'd say yes, but that would be a _different bug, and depends on how that
metapackage is intended to behave.

For each _direct_ package relation, question is if related packages a
needed for _all_ uses of the package (depend), there is a rare use
without it (recommend) or it is only uncommonly needed (suggest).

If it _never_ makes sense to install xfce4 metapackage without also
installing xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin (i.e. if xfwm4 crashes without that
plugin existing), then it makes sense to declare strict as a dependency.

Argument above by Michael is that it sounds like it _never_ makes sense
to install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin without also installing pulseaudio.

Example: If xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin can somehow communicate (by itself,
without help from pulseaudio package!) with a remote pulseaudio install
on a separate host, then it makes sense for the package relation to be a
recommendation.  If you cannot describe a single use case for this
package without its related package, then depend on that other package
(no matter needs of _reverse_ related packages further up the stack!).

 - Jonas