Re: Converting to dgit

On January 4, 2017 12:33:43 AM EST, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
>On Jan 03 2017, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>> Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:
>>
>>> The thing that's delivered to users in 99% of the cases is the
>binary
>>> package. In the (comparatively) rare cases where the user is
>retrieving
>>> the source, I am not convinced that most of these users truly prefer
>>> Debian-specific source package with patches in debian/patches over a
>>> standard Git repository with patches as commits.
>>
>> Speaking as a Debian user who frequently has to apply local patches
>or
>> produce local versions of Debian packages for my job (usually weird
>> backports or bizarre local requirements), I cannot express to you how
>much
>> I prefer a Debian source package with patches in debian/patches over
>a Git
>> repository with patches as commits.
>
>Yeah, but I was not talking about the strength of preferences but the
>number of users that have them :-). Also, you happen to be a Debian
>developer and are therefore already familiar with the Debian source
>format...

The security team is, IMO, one of the most important non-maintainer consumers of Debian source packages.  They are also somewhat familiar with the Debian source format.  This matters.

As a new Debian administrator learning about how Debian packages worked enough to solve local issues was a high priority.  This was long before I was involved in Debian development.

Familiarity with Debian source packages isn't particularly obscure.  It's quite normal.

Scott K