Re: Converting to dgit

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 10:36:22AM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

>> I still haven't really made up my mind if I want to use git-maint-merge
>> or git-dpm. Russ recently raised a valid point with the Debian
>> modifications over-time becoming all tangled up and impossible to
>> separate.

> I also read Russ's e-mail, but I'm not yet convinced that powerful tools
> like `git diff` and `git log` won't be able to give you the information
> you need pretty quickly.  It might take a little time to craft the right
> command, but that is easily outweighed by the time saved curating a
> patch series.

Curating a patch series is only 5% slower than commiting directly to the
Git repository to me.  I just have to remember to gbp pq import before
making new changes, gbp pq export when I'm done, and once in a great while
I have to do a small bit of rebasing to merge changes back into other
patches.  It's quite easy for someone who is very familiar with Git, using
good tools.  That 5% would be even less if I did it more often.

I'm unconvinced that any of that work would really be avoided via other
mechanisms.  The most time-consuming part is rebasing and squashing
related changes together into one coherent diff, but that's going to be
just as hard with any of these tools since the hard work is semantic and
requires thought, not just repository manipulation.