Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

Hello Russ,

On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 09:29:24AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Furthermore, it forces a rebased, clean representation of the patches,
> which I for one hugely prefer to the mess that you get if someone was
> packaging in Git and just randomly commits things directly to the
> packaging branch intermixed with merges from upstream.  A few releases
> done that way will leave you almost completely unable to extract a rebased
> patch set against the current upstream source.  (I have made this mistake
> so many times with my own packages.)

Aside from `git debcherry`, which was already mentioned, git itself can
get you this information.  For example:

    git log --oneline 1.2.3..debian/1.2.3-1 -- . ':!debian'

This will get you all commits which touched the upstream source that
have not been merged upstream.  There can be as many merge commits as
you like in between.

> I think the forced rebasing is huge, and is a significant feature for me.
> But then, I'm a rebase-not-merge person in the perennial Git flamewar.

This is probably why we disagree :)

--
Sean Whitton