Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

Guillem Jover wrote...

> On Sun, 2017-01-01 at 10:47:59 -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> > TBH this feels like you're sniping at Raphael here, which I think is
> > pretty sad and inappropriate.

Well, bringing up more old stories, even if 'The secret plan behind
the "3.0 (quilt)" Debian source' was meant to be a joke, it wasn't
quite helpful to convince the people who were not sure about the
concept. So Guillem's wording might be inappropriate but Raphael will
have to stand that.

> But then, I know that part of the resistance to the new formats was
> in part due to that very aggressive advertising campaign, that for
> whatever reason annoyed some quarters of the project. So, when trying
> in a way to start a dialogue with the people that got annoyed at the
> time, I think it would be a bad idea to cloud that with a page like
> that.

This is a good plan, go for it. Overall (and starting advocacy), I'm
not a huge fan of 3.0 (quilt) but - especially when used with DEP-3
headers - it is the best thing Debian has, way better than 1.0 and all
the other hand-crafted patch handling I happen to see in some
packages. Also, this format has been around for several years now, it
is understood, well-tested and widely accepted.

So I might suggest "Deprecate source format 1.0" as a buster release goal.

    Christoph