Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

On Sun, 2017-01-01 at 10:47:59 -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> On Jan 01 2017, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> > (I'm not using <https://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0> because
> > TBH it read more like a sales brochure than a more neutral page…)
>
> TBH this feels like you're sniping at Raphael here, which I think is
> pretty sad and inappropriate.

Hmm, I brought it up because it does read like that to me (please have
a look if you haven't), and it does not feel right for me to change the
tone of that page on my own.

I don't have an inherent problem with people advertising features and
trying to "sell" them to users, more so if you have invested time and
energy in them and truly think they are superior. And just to be clear
I switched all packages I maintain to 3.0 formats long time ago and
never looked back, and I'm pretty happy about it.

But then, I know that part of the resistance to the new formats was
in part due to that very aggressive advertising campaign, that for
whatever reason annoyed some quarters of the project. So, when trying
in a way to start a dialogue with the people that got annoyed at the
time, I think it would be a bad idea to cloud that with a page like
that. I see taking a neutral position as a way to try to "heal" that
divide in the project. Hope that explains.

Thanks,
Guillem