Re: armel after Stretch (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

W. Martin Borgert wrote...

> The forementioned hardware needs < 0.5 W, the manufacturer even
> claims 0.18 W. AFAIK, most newer ARM boards that are capable to
> run Debian need more energy or am I wrong?

So let me play the devil's advocate another time: My Dockstar runs
24/7 and allegedly consumes 5 watts. Replacing it with a board that
takes a tenth, the electricity bill will be ten euros less. Depending
on the price for the replacement, that might be worth a thought.

It certainly is if you're still running a WRT54G at some 15 watts
where a TP-Link 741 costs less than 20 euros and takes some two or
three watts.

> (Furthermore, any replacement of hardware has many environmental
> effects apart of energy consumption: Use of rare materials,
> production side effects, transport, waste problems, etc.)

Controlling does not care beyond the bills. And there might be
transition costs as well (testing new hardware, deployment etc).

Nevertheless, there is a point where supporting old hardware makes
little to no sense. Defining that point is hard and includes personals
preferences as well. Given the arguments in this thread I'm less sure
armel already is at that point but it surely will come.

On the other hand it hurts to see Debian will no longer support
hardware that is still being sold. For me, it's a deja-vu: ARMv4
boards (v4 as in: No thumb) were sold until at least 2009 in some NAS
boxes. When I started playing with it, arm(OABI) left the building.

    Christoph