Re: armel after Stretch (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

On 2016-12-10 17:54, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Maximum RAM is 128 Mbytes. Wouldn't buy this to run Debian on it.

Depends on the use case. My employer is using it successfully
since years. Of course: No X, no database, no big data, but some
hungry Pythons and a web interface :~)

> At some point new hardware is that
> much more energy efficient the inital cost pays off over the intended
> time of usage. Want my old P4 server?

The forementioned hardware needs < 0.5 W, the manufacturer even
claims 0.18 W. AFAIK, most newer ARM boards that are capable to
run Debian need more energy or am I wrong?

(Furthermore, any replacement of hardware has many environmental
effects apart of energy consumption: Use of rare materials,
production side effects, transport, waste problems, etc.)