Re: How to get history into dgit

Hello Nikolaus,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 12:17:50PM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> I would like to start using dgit for one of my packages, using the
> dgit-maint-merge workflow.

dgit-maint-merge(7) author here.

> If I understood correctly, following the dgit-maint-merge(7)
> instructions for the initial setup will give me a repository with only
> the upstream git history, but no data from previous Debian packages.
>
> Is there a good way to import the existing package history as well?
>
> Until now, I've used git-dpm, but I don't really need the full
> git-dpm history, I'd be happy to just preserve the uploaded versions.

What I would do in this situation is, starting with your existing
packaging history,

1) Ensure HEAD is dgit-compatible.  This means patches are applied,
debian/source/local-options does not exist, etc.

2) Do the steps under "git configuration" and "source package
configuration" in the manpage.

3) rm -r debian/patches.

Now you should be able to work as per "building and uploading" and "new
upstream releases" in the manpage.  If your existing history is disjoint
from upstream, the first new upstream release you merge might require
--allow-unrelated-histories.

--
Sean Whitton