How to get history into dgit

Hello,

I would like to start using dgit for one of my packages, using the
dgit-maint-merge workflow.

If I understood correctly, following the dgit-maint-merge(7)
instructions for the initial setup will give me a repository with only
the upstream git history, but no data from previous Debian packages.

Is there a good way to import the existing package history as well?

Until now, I've used git-dpm, but I don't really need the full
git-dpm history, I'd be happy to just preserve the uploaded versions.

Thanks,
-Nikolaus