Re: golang naming scheme

 ❦ 31 mars 2016 15:22 -0400, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> :

>> That's one of the reasons why so many people use github, since that URL is
>> less likely to change.
>
> less likely, but imagine 3000 golang packages in the archive in 5 years and
> then github is bought by google and renamed to goolab. or whatever. it's
> a disaster waiting to happen. anytime.
>
> (and if you think that's unlikely imagine gitlab buying github and
> unifying the services under the gitlab name for whatever reason we
> cannot see yet. Obviously I understand that github is a big brand today, but
> there is a long list of mega brands which went away.)

Projects that have moved from Google Code to Github did change URL and
therefore, the Go package also changed. There is little that can be done
by Debian. Initialy, shorter names were used but in Go, it is common to
fork one of your dependency to change something in it and publish it
under your namespace. Sometimes, the original wasn't updated
anymore. Therefore, it is simpler to use the same convention from
everyone.
--
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
		-- Mark Twain