Re: a poll for Dgit workflows

On Mar 22, Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:

> Aside: I do like separating Debian deltas from upstream pristine source
> because I find them easier to track as upstream changes.  So I'm still a fan
> of 3.0-quilt but I understand the problems involved, and I'm sure there's a
> git-ier way of making Debian deltas obvious.  OTOH, walking up to a
> debian/patches directory with nice DEP-3 files makes it really easy to see
> what's going on.
Have a look e.g. at my kmod package:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/md/kmod.git

The debian (unpatched!) branch is neatly merged at every release with
the real upstream tree. No special tools are required.
I can provide a script that will convert an existing package to this
format.

> Even if I didn't like 3.0-quilt, I think it's clear that dgit has to work well
> with such package formats as it will be a long time, if ever that a maintainer
> won't have to walk up to a quiltified package to do some work on.  I'm not
I like the general idea of dgit, but I will never use it as long as it
requires committing patched trees.

--
ciao,
Marco