Re: a poll for Dgit workflows

On Mar 19, 2016, at 04:27 PM, Daniel Stender wrote:

>dealing with Dgit beyond a "simple" workflow (clone/fetch - make changes -
>dgit push) I wanted to poll for workflows towards new upstream tarballs and,
>connected to that, the treatment of patches.

I haven't used dgit for anything real yet, but I'm playing with it now.  Over
in DPMT we use git-dpm, which unfortunately appears to be unmaintained( last
upload was 18-Oct-2014 afaict).  These packages use a mix of git-dpm and gbp
for patch management, packaging building, tagging, etc.  For other projects
not in the DPMT, I've used straight-up gbp (and gbp-pq for patch management).

Aside: I do like separating Debian deltas from upstream pristine source
because I find them easier to track as upstream changes.  So I'm still a fan
of 3.0-quilt but I understand the problems involved, and I'm sure there's a
git-ier way of making Debian deltas obvious.  OTOH, walking up to a
debian/patches directory with nice DEP-3 files makes it really easy to see
what's going on.  git-dpm/gbp-pq with the occasional `git rebase -i upstream`
does a pretty good job of allowing me to refresh the patches, merge them,
updated them, and delete them.  When it works, it works great.

Even if I didn't like 3.0-quilt, I think it's clear that dgit has to work well
with such package formats as it will be a long time, if ever that a maintainer
won't have to walk up to a quiltified package to do some work on.  I'm not
personally a fan of single-debian-patch.

The other thing I like about git-dpm/gbp-pq is the upstream and pristine-tar
branches.  It's nice to have upstream already there, and you can fairly easily
diff against the last upstream version you uploaded.  pristine-tar I guess you
don't usually look at explicitly, but given that most Python upstreams still
release tarballs, it's very comfortable to have a pristine-tar based git
workflow in Debian.  I like being able to say e.g. `gbp import-orig --uscan`
and now (barring conflicts) all the branches reflect the new upstream.

It's not at all clear to me how to (best) import a new upstream orig.tar.gz
for a new upstream version.  It's difficult to be more simple than `gbp
import-orig --uscan` but that's the level I'd like to work at.

Cheers,
-Barry