Re: How to deal with "assets" packages shadowing real upstream

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 11:37:12AM +0100, IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU) wrote:
> i think that §4.13 does not cover the original issue of jonas at all, as
> it's about something different: using convenience copies instead of the
> system provided packages.
>
> the case being discussed is (i believe):
> - upstream releases of "foo" contain a component "bar"

Technically this is true, but the important part is that "bar" is not just a
component, but one that is separately released.

If the "real" source of a library is bundled with some binary, they should be
in the same source package as well.  4.13 is about components that upstream
downloaded from somewhere and copied into their source tree.

Since they only have a copy, the real upstream will always be more up to date.
Also, if Debian finds a security problem, we send it back to our upstream and
we want that to be the real upstream, not just a copy which is used by only a
part of the community.

> - "bar" is not an *integral* part of "foo" (it's a dependency)

I think you mean here what I wrote above, correct?

> - nobody has packaged "bar" yet
>
> - may the packaging of "foo" then rely on the included "bar", or do we
> have first have to package a standalone release of "bar"?
>

> i don't think that there is anything inherently wrong using the included
> "bar".

Yes, there is.  It doesn't mean it's not allowed.  As 4.13 says, it *shouldn't*
be done.  If there's a good reason (and "getting the software into Debian with
the limited time I have for packaging it" can be a good reason IMO), it is
acceptable to deviate from such a rule.  But it is wrong, should be fixed and
deserves a bug report.

> esp. if the packager actually does split the "bar" component into a
> separate binary package so it's usable by other packages as well.

The main reason that is better is that it makes it easier to transition to the
correct situation.

> actually, i think in some cases it's even the better approach...think of
> all that tiny js packages; wouldn't everybody be happy if they were
> accumulated into a bigger upstream, even if this upstream was just a
> proxy to the "real" upstreams?

No, that wouldn't make me happier.  I think it would be acceptable, but I would
prefer to have one source package per upstream release.  So if an author
bundles several of their libraries in one release, that should be one source
package (but may still be multiple binary packages, if that makes sense).  But
if the libraries are released separately by their authors, they should be
separate source packages.

Thanks,
Bas