Re: How to deal with "assets" packages shadowing real upstream

Quoting IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU) (2016-03-09 11:37:12)
>> Reading that again, I see that it says code copies are acceptable if
>> the code is meant to be used that way (with GNU autotools as an
>> example in the footnote).  For convenience, I quoted the whole thing
>> below.
>
> thanks for the quote (saved some time).

Thanks for the reminder!

> i think that §4.13 does not cover the original issue of jonas at all,
> as it's about something different: using convenience copies instead of
> the system provided packages.
>
> the case being discussed is (i believe):
> - upstream releases of "foo" contain a component "bar"
> - "bar" is not an *integral* part of "foo" (it's a dependency)
> - nobody has packaged "bar" yet
>
> - may the packaging of "foo" then rely on the included "bar", or do we
> have first have to package a standalone release of "bar"?
>

> i don't think that there is anything inherently wrong using the
> included "bar".
> esp. if the packager actually does split the "bar" component into a
> separate binary package so it's usable by other packages as well.

Policy §4.13 says explicitly about packaging code which upstream
included from a different upstream: "If the included code is not already
in Debian, it should be packaged separately as a prerequisite if
possible."

> actually, i think in some cases it's even the better approach...think
> of all that tiny js packages; wouldn't everybody be happy if they were
> accumulated into a bigger upstream, even if this upstream was just a
> proxy to the "real" upstreams?

How is it better?  We then rely on others to ensure that the code is
up-to-date and contains pristine upstream code.

I agree it is easier, but not better.

- Jonas