Re: Migration despite an RC bug?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Don Armstrong writes ("Re: Migration despite an RC bug?"):
> > I'm still not quite sure how the script was failing. The outer shell
> > invocation which calls a perl script to do the versioning database
> > update is run with set -e, and the perl script should exit with non-zero
> > if it fails to work properly. However, it appears that when buxtehude is
> > restarted, the perl script is killed before the outer bash script
> > completes but the exit state isn't properly handled?
>
> I've debugged a lot of this kind of thing.  Point me at your
> (pre-just-fixed) code and I might spot it ?

These two are how I think I've fixed it:

http://git.donarmstrong.com/?p=debbugs.git;a=commitdiff;h=29b55e4d5535a68cc6d2294f5c362d271b53c6d2
http://git.donarmstrong.com/?p=debbugs.git;a=commitdiff;h=d83ffb68f75ae98ad5005eee9b173d5dac08c343

[I believe I exposed this bug because I switched to IO::Uncompress,
which is incredibly slow; I've now switched relevant pieces of code
back.]

> That may well help. Or maybe the bug is in a higher layer somewhere.
> Are HTTP and CGI involved ?

No; it's happening at the updating the versioning database level.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures.
 -- Gaius Julius Caesar in "The Conspiracy of Catiline" by Sallust