Re: Fwd: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler:
[...]
>> No, the encoding was not correct. Compare how you (your MUA) just did it in
>> this message with the rejected one.

>>   From: =?UTF-8?Q?TOMAS_MARTI=c5=a0IUS?= <tomas@puga.vdu.lt>

>>   From: =?utf-8?b?VG9tYXMgTWFydGnFoWl1cyA8dG9tYXNAcHVnYS52ZHUubHQ+?=
[...]

> Hi,

> The latter is "simply" a base64 encoding:

> $ echo 'VG9tYXMgTWFydGnFoWl1cyA8dG9tYXNAcHVnYS52ZHUubHQ+' | base64 -d
> Tomas Martišius <tomas@puga.vdu.lt>
[...]
> I am not an expert on permitted ways of quoting UTF-8 in mail
> headers, but the base64 method does not seem entirely inconceivable
> for some RFC to support that (especially not considering you can
> encode the body with base64).

Whether VG9tYXMgTWFydGnFoWl1cyA8dG9tYXNAcHVnYS52ZHUubHQ+ can be
/decoded/ to something that contains a mail-address is not relevant. The
header

  From: =?utf-8?b?VG9tYXMgTWFydGnFoWl1cyA8dG9tYXNAcHVnYS52ZHUubHQ+?=

does not fullfill the syntax required by RFC 2822. These syntax
requiremts apply to the (possibly rfc2047-) *encoded* field contents,
not to the decoded values.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'