Re: Crowd funding campaign to package browserify in debian

Le 24/12/2016 à 00:51, Russell Stuart a écrit :
> [0] I was proudly shown some production "web code" yesterday.  Cutting
>     edge stuff, apparently.  A single file contained HTML, css, and JS.
>     [...]
>
>     But how could a linter process that, I asked - it was some unholy
>     mess of 3(? maybe more) intermixed languages.  It gently explained
>     this was the source code form.

As far as I know about frontend web development, HTML, CSS and
Javascript are kept separated in the source code and some compiled
version merge stuff together. It's more efficient to have few big files
instead of a lot of small files to download.

I know this workflow today for frontend:
- Sass or less files are compiled/minified into a CSS file.
- Coffeescript, react templates, etc. are compiled/minified into
javascript files.

The job is done with {grunt|gulp|webpack|brunch|whatever}.

So, the final compiled file can be a mix of several languages but the
languages are separated in the sources.

Sometimes yaml is transformed into HTML too; I saw that on the server side.

Perhaps I missed something, so I'm curious to learn more about it (a
link or some keywords can be a good start).

>     Pirate has evidently decided to work full time on
>     bringing these two worlds together.

Thanks to Pirate Praveen (and others) for working on node packages. I
think it's good we have a recent version of nodejs and nvm in Debian.

--
Stéphane