Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

On 25.12.2016 08:18, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Yes, but that's a data point to have in mind: blindly upgrading software
> is not always without consequences.

Do we actually communicate a proper way of running services on a Debian
machine, with services coming from Debian packages? If so, what is it?

It seems to me that what could be sensible is pinning locally installed
packages in a way that they are not upgraded by default and instead
would then be upgraded by hand in a maintenance window. Otherwise you
risk outages by synchronization between machines or because database
servers should not simply be restarted while clients are actively using
them.

I can see how it's slightly less dangerous with stateless services like
DNS, where people might just not bother.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern