Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> I am doing this myself already on desktop systems so I have some
> experiences with it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

> What I would really like is a mechanism where the user can tune after
> how many days the upgrade will occur. Maybe a default could be after 2
> days. People who like to have faster updates can change this to 0 days,
> and this people do extra testing of the updates. When big problems occur
> with an update, the installation of the update should be stopped in some
> way for the people who have set it at 2 days.

How do you propose to transmit the info about problematic updates from
early testers to folks who update later?

> It would be nice to have a way to configure a notice (by e-mail?) in
> case of an error apt or dpkg error.

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades:
Unattended-Upgrade::Mail "root";
Unattended-Upgrade::MailOnlyOnError "true";

> I would like something as "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade".
> So not only "apt-get upgrade", and for everything in sources.list, so
> not only for security updates. I would like to go from Debian 9.1 to
> 9.2, but not from Debian 9 to 10.

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades:
Set Unattended-Upgrade::Origins-Pattern to match which packages you
want to upgrade.

> Using a program what has been upgraded can give strange problems. I have
> seen this e.g. with e-mail clients and browsers. I would like it when
> desktop users could get a message that programs has to be restarted.
> Not sure this is important for servers too, I would think so.

apt install needrestart needrestart-session

> I don't think it's an good idea to enable automatic reboots by default.

I think we either need a Linux kernel livepatch service or automatic reboots.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise