Trademark issues (Was: kronatools_2.7+dfsg-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Hi Ian,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:43:37AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Andreas Tille writes ("Re: kronatools_2.7+dfsg-1_amd64.changes REJECTED"):
> >
> > Thanks for your torough checking. As discussed long ago[2]
> >
> >   "KronaTools" may work, since the actual trademark is just
> >   "Krona". You could also use "Radiant", which was the original name
> >   (and still in SourceForge with a redirect). We avoided Radiant so
> >   our name could be trademarked, but you wouldn't have that problem
> >   I'm guessing.
>
> The upstream you are dealing with, here, clearly don't really
> understand trademarks very well.

... which makes a perfect match between me and upstream.  I naively
assumed that the argument given by upstream should be valid to combine
two quite generic words is something else than a trademarked word.

> If "krona" is trademarked (and that
> DHS page claims it is) then "kronatools" would clearly be a breach.
>
> You'll have to call it something without the word "krona" in.

I simply have to trust your insight here.

> > It would help to hear other opinions before trying another upload to
> > new: What name do you think is a proper name for this project in Debian.
>
> I haven't been able to figure out what this program does.  Your links
> don't give your own Description and the upstream say:
>
>   Krona Tools is a set of scripts to create Krona charts from several
>   Bioinformatics tools as well as from text and XML files.

The ITPed package description reads:

 Krona allows hierarchical data to be explored with zoomable pie charts.
 Krona charts include support for several bioinformatics tools and raw
 data formats. The charts can be viewed with a recent version of any
 major web browser.

The Wiki page[1] has some enlightening examples.

> Either this is circular, or "Krona chart" was a medical (or
> medico-informatical) term before this software existed and it
> shouldn't have been trademarked (although I doubt anyone wants to
> fight that).

I do not think that there was an older term before that should have
preventing the trademark (and even if I personally would not midn
fighting these horrible law fights).

> radiant-diagnostic or something maybe ?  (I see there is also a Ruby
> CMS called "radiant".)

I think radiant-graphs might come closer even if I doubt that there is
much confusion between the CMS and this tool and if its not packaged
there should be no clash.

I'd like to hear a word from ftpmaster if I rename the source and binary
package as well as the Git archive - would this be accepted for the next
upload.  Some kind of confirmation in advance would be helpful to do
more negotions right now and not after another round in the new queue.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://github.com/marbl/Krona/wiki

--