Re: armel after Stretch (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

On 2016-12-16, Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Christoph Biedl
> <debian.axhn@manchmal.in-ulm.de> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to put a bootloader like u-boot in the flash partitions
>>> and have it load the Linux kernel and initrd from elsewhere?

There's no technical reason this wouldn't be possible, just a matter of
getting patches in upstream u-boot for that platform adding support for
so on, and staying withint the size constraints for that platform.

You might be able to use an SPL loader as a first-stage loader early in
the boot process to load a more capable u-boot from other flash
partitions and/or other media and/or filesystems. With the space
reserved for a linux kernel on flash media, that would presumably give
quite a bit of space for a full-featured u-boot.

>> That how I've been running my Dockstars through all the years. As as
>> far as I know this worked with the Debian kernels as well (I use my
>> own kernels for reasons).
>
> If I understand correctly, it means boot like:
>   u-boot shipped by original vendor => self built u-boot => kernel
> (Debian's or your own customized one)

While technically possible, u-boot upstream discourages chainloaded
u-boot. So while you could maybe make patches to get it working for a
particular board and set of vendor and upstream u-boot versions, I'm not
sure if patches would be accepted for upstream u-boot.

live well,
  vagrant