Re: armel after Stretch (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

On 2016-12-13 23:42 +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 09:21:48PM +0100, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> > W. Martin Borgert wrote...
> > > The forementioned hardware needs < 0.5 W, the manufacturer even
> > > claims 0.18 W. AFAIK, most newer ARM boards that are capable to
> > > run Debian need more energy or am I wrong?
> >
> > So let me play the devil's advocate another time: My Dockstar runs
> > 24/7 and allegedly consumes 5 watts. Replacing it with a board that
> > takes a tenth, the electricity bill will be ten euros less. Depending
> > on the price for the replacement, that might be worth a thought.
> >
> > It certainly is if you're still running a WRT54G at some 15 watts

15 really? This page says 3-8W. Fairly sure mine was more like 9 (and
the replacement ~4) https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=2162

> Don't forget that your time spent ordering a replacement, configuring it,
> replacing the OS, etc, is not free either.

I think Martin is counting Energy/emissions, not cost. So extra time
spent making lower-power stuff work is investment in efficiency
(within reason).

> > > (Furthermore, any replacement of hardware has many environmental
> > > effects apart of energy consumption: Use of rare materials,
> > > production side effects, transport, waste problems, etc.)
> >
> > Controlling does not care beyond the bills. And there might be
> > transition costs as well (testing new hardware, deployment etc).

It seems that you misunderstand: the object of the exercise is not
(money) cost-minimisation, but environmental cost
minimisation. Ultimately we can make as much money as we like (it's
just numbers), other resources are much more limited, which is why I
prefer Mr Borgert's methodology.

> If the old box still matches your needs, it's almost never cost-effective to
> replace it, unless you manage a fleet of those and can do the replacement in
> batches.

This is not true. For example, an old PC using 70W is always worth
replacing ASAP with a 5W arm box if you can, assuming that you still
need the service for long enough to cover the embodied emissions of
the new box (which won't be very long at 65W difference, how long
exactly depending on supply carbon intensity (~6 months in the UK).

(Perhaps getting a little OT now.)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/