Installing missing conffiles (was Re: dpkg no longer installs conffiles??)

On Tue, 2016-11-29 at 19:18:41 +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> To force reinstallation of configuration files, invoke dpkg with the
> "--force-confmiss" option when installing. This will only restore
> missing configuration files, but not overwrite changed ones. If some
> configuration files were damaged, you can use "--force-confnew" to
> unpack all configuration files; your old files can be found with a
> ".dpkg-old" suffix then.

This is I guess, an extended misconception, --force-confmiss will only
install missing conffiles if they are missing AND the conffile changes
in the new package relative to the one installed (as documented in the
man page).

What you probably want is --force-confask --force-confmiss.

Thanks,
Guillem