Re: [Letsencrypt-devel] Certbot in Debian Stretch

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 05:37:05PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 02:45:26PM +0100, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 24, 2016, at 13:39, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > > So if you, as an upstream maintainer, have a change that is needed for
> > > compatibility with changes in network APIs and the change is reviewable
> > > by humans, a stable update could be possible. It's still on a
> > > case-by-case basis, so you would need to ask and the Release Team cannot
> > > approve what they do not know about.
> >
> > There are more cases where Debian stable is getting new upstream
> > releases.
> > It's mostly to keep up with the security (MySQL, PHP),
>
> These are long-term supported upstream stable branches.
>
> Debian cannot just sacrifice stability by throwing the latest upstream
> release of some random packages into stable.

That's not what we asked for; we're only interested in having a subset of our
upstream releases taken into Debian stable, and only after we know from
extensive field testing that they're not breaking anything.

We'd be willing to consider defining an upstream stable release series to
formalize this, if the Debian community views that as especially important.

--
Peter Eckersley                            pde@eff.org
Chief Computer Scientist          Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131