Re: [Letsencrypt-devel] Certbot in Debian Stretch

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 05:22:29PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> For networked services, it is different.
>
> Debian has already been carrying updated versions of Firefox and
> Chromium in stable including bundled dependencies too.  Maybe we need to
> have an objective way of deciding which other projects genuinely deserve
> the same treatment.

The problem with Firefox/Chromium is not "networked services".

The problem is that it is not feasible to backport all security fixes
to a 3 year old version of such a browser.

And the "objective way of deciding" is that not shipping any web browser
would not be a realistic option.

For nearly any other package, not shipping it in a stable is the better
option for Debian.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.