Re: DEP 8: Gathering Django usage analytics

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I'd rather not debate this on github. It's a proprietary system, and
> effectively a web forum I'd need to keep polling to see if there's

You get mail notifications on GitHub too.

> misunderstood what they want to do, or a troll. If that's how I'm
> going to be painted for disagreeing with them, then I don't want to
> talk to them. It's probably true that I have misunderstood the details
> of their proposals (I did find them written in a way that's confusing
> to me), but the details probably don't matter much: if you software

I don't agree, details do matter. And if you effectively want to
contribute to the discussion, then you should take the time to
understand what's proposed and figure out with them what's acceptable
and what's not. The discussion has been rather long already, so yes it
takes time.

I'm not asking you to do that, I already did it as package co-maintainer.
But don't be surprised if you're classified as someone not constructive if
you only assert high-level principles without discussing the details.

> reports on your users (and that includes developers), and the users do
> no opt in to that, you're violating people'e privacy and you shouldn't
> do that. If it's software packaged for Debian, the Debian package
> maintainer should patch it out.

I clearly expressed this to upstream already.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer