Re: DEP 8: Gathering Django usage analytics

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 08:54:08AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
>
> > If I understand this correctly, Django wants to gather usage
> > statistics from installed Django instances, in a way that they say
> > respects user privacy (though I failed to understand how, given a
> > quick read). They claim this information gathering is necessary for
> > them to sustainably get funding for Django development.
>
> ... there was a response to this email here:
> https://github.com/django/deps/pull/31#issuecomment-261181821
>
> Probably better to followup on this pull request as opposed to here,
> where upstream will read it.

I'd rather not debate this on github. It's a proprietary system, and
effectively a web forum I'd need to keep polling to see if there's
misunderstood what they want to do, or a troll. If that's how I'm
going to be painted for disagreeing with them, then I don't want to
talk to them. It's probably true that I have misunderstood the details
of their proposals (I did find them written in a way that's confusing
to me), but the details probably don't matter much: if you software
reports on your users (and that includes developers), and the users do
no opt in to that, you're violating people'e privacy and you shouldn't
do that. If it's software packaged for Debian, the Debian package
maintainer should patch it out.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh