Re: OpenSSL 1.1.0

On martes, 15 de noviembre de 2016 14:52:15 ART Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 2016-11-15 14:43, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > I *really* disagree with that. Swtiching libssl-dev to provide
> > libssl1.1-dev
> > means that some apps/libs will get automatically recompiled and some of
> > them
> > might even not FTBFS (because for example, they are ready to use 1.1).
>
> If a 1.1.0 ready package ftbfs when libssl-dev points to 1.0 it is a bug
> that
> should be fixed anyway. There is no real reason not to support both
> versions.

A bug which, IMO, should not be RC right now, but switching libssl-dev to
provide libssl1.1 *now* will probably hide crashes in the case I described
above.

So yes, I agree with you, I just don't agree this is the right time. Doing it
as soon as the buster release cycle starts it's just fine.

> > That means we left the door open to crashes due to mixed libssl
> > versions.
> >
> > By letting libssl-dev provide libssl1.0 we do not open this door, and
> > we let
> > maintainers decide on a per-basis case.
>
> And we have to maintain two openssl versions trough the release cycle.

For stretch we will already have, except we delay the release by ~1 year.
Which again, if it's deemed necessary, then we should consider it.

--
Una vez que hemos eliminado lo imposible, lo que queda, por improbable que
parezca, es la verdad.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/