Re: Multi-Arch: allowed

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 09:24:10PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 at 18:11:27 +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> > The -dbg package is Multi-Arch same. It Depends on the packages for
> > which it provides debugging symbols, some of which are Multi-Arch:
> > allowed. Lintian complains when I don't specify an architecture for
> > those packages:
> >
> > W: gyoto source: dependency-is-not-multi-archified gyoto-dbg depends
> > on gyoto-bin (multi-arch: allowed)
> > N:
> > N:    The package is Multi-Arch "same", but it depends on a package
> > that is
> > N:    neither Multi-Arch "same" nor "foreign".
>
> It is not useful for gyoto-dbg to be Multi-Arch: same as long as it
> Depends on gyoto-bin.
>
> Imagine you want to be able to debug gyoto i386 and amd64 libraries,
> or some other pair of architectures, at the same time (which is the
> reason why Multi-Arch: same debug symbols are useful). You install
> libgyoto0:amd64 and libgyoto0:i386 (or whatever the SONAME is); fine.
> Next you install gyoto-dbg:amd64, which pulls in gyoto-bin:amd64; still
> fine so far. Finally, you try to install gyoto-dbg:i386, but it Depends
> on gyoto-bin:i386, which is not co-installable with gyoto-bin:amd64,
> so you can't.
>
> You can either:
>
> * stop generating gyoto-dbg, and get the automatic debug packages
>   (but they won't be made available in jessie-backports)
>
> * remove the Multi-Arch field from gyoto-dbg
>
> * weaken its Depends on gyoto-bin to a Recommends or something

I would add:

* Check if gyoto-bin really needs to be M-A:allowed. Name, Description
and the list of filenames included in the package suggest to me that the
package can and should be M-A:foreign – or in other words: Why is it
allowed?

* otherwise: Check if gyoto-bin can't be split up into a package which
can be marked M-A:foreign and one which can be marked M-A:same.

Rule of thumb: Don't make any package M-A:allowed as long as you haven't
got a bugreport telling you it would be nice from some cross-folks (be
it grader, builder, bootstrapper, …). Reason is that M-A:same/foreign is
instantly useable/ful, but M-A:allowed is useless if nothing ends up
depending on it with :any.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies