Re: Multi-Arch: allowed

On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 at 18:11:27 +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> The -dbg package is Multi-Arch same. It Depends on the packages for
> which it provides debugging symbols, some of which are Multi-Arch:
> allowed. Lintian complains when I don't specify an architecture for
> those packages:
>
> W: gyoto source: dependency-is-not-multi-archified gyoto-dbg depends
> on gyoto-bin (multi-arch: allowed)
> N:
> N:    The package is Multi-Arch "same", but it depends on a package
> that is
> N:    neither Multi-Arch "same" nor "foreign".

It is not useful for gyoto-dbg to be Multi-Arch: same as long as it
Depends on gyoto-bin.

Imagine you want to be able to debug gyoto i386 and amd64 libraries,
or some other pair of architectures, at the same time (which is the
reason why Multi-Arch: same debug symbols are useful). You install
libgyoto0:amd64 and libgyoto0:i386 (or whatever the SONAME is); fine.
Next you install gyoto-dbg:amd64, which pulls in gyoto-bin:amd64; still
fine so far. Finally, you try to install gyoto-dbg:i386, but it Depends
on gyoto-bin:i386, which is not co-installable with gyoto-bin:amd64,
so you can't.

You can either:

* stop generating gyoto-dbg, and get the automatic debug packages
  (but they won't be made available in jessie-backports)

* remove the Multi-Arch field from gyoto-dbg

* weaken its Depends on gyoto-bin to a Recommends or something

Regards,