Re: Static linking and fPIC (Was: Re: "PIE by default" transition is underway -- wiki needs updating)

Hi Ian,

> On Mon, 2016-10-31 at 10:27 +0100, Jérémy Lal wrote:
>> export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS = hardening=+all,-pie
>> ?
>
> Thanks, but that doesn't appear to help, I think the issue is to do
> with the changed default in gcc rather than the hardening settings
> injected into the build by dpkg-buildpackage/dpkg-buildflags (or
> whatever it is which does it).

Yes, this is the case.

> If possible I'd also prefer a solution which fixed qcontrol-static
> without opting out for the normal dynamic/non-udeb binary.

I ran the build tests on amd64, this is why I have not caught this error.
A rebuild of lua5.1 should fix the problem.

Dpkg changes are on their way, too in the next days. I would ask
for a binNMU after dpkg is updated.

Cheers,
Balint