"PIE by default" transition is underway -- wiki needs updating

Hi,

I haven't been paying close attention to the "PIE by default" [1] discussions,
so I may have missed the memo, but: it seems the transition is underway?

I've seen two bugs already claiming "static library foo must be compiled with
-fPIC" -- because some reverse dependency now fails to build.  But I think
this advice is misplaced.  The Ubuntu page [2] says that all you need to do is
rebuild the library foo with the PIE-enabled compiler, then rebuild the
depending code:

	Relocation Linking Failure

	A dynamically linked program that pulls in a static library that was not
	built with -fPIC. These give an error like:

	    relocation R_X86_64_32 against '[SYMBOL]' can not be used when making a
		shared object; recompile with -fPIC

	To address these types of issues, the package providing the static object
	needs to be rebuilt (usually just a no-change rebuild against the pie-by-
	default compiler) before rebuilding the failed package.

So it seems to me that this should be emphasized on the wiki [1].  Secondly,
it seems that the proposal to change policy to encourage -fPIC on static
libraries [3] is misplaced and should be withdrawn.    Are both these
statements accurate?

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening/PIEByDefaultTransition