Re: NRSS has been deprecated [#696302]

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 02:24:20PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
>
> > we should have some way to query if anybody would object to a package's removal?
>
> We definitely need better ways to connect with package users, but it
> might be hard to do that in a privacy preserving way. Perhaps
> something similar to popcon, but in reverse could help there. A
> web/onion service where users can download details of packages that
> might need user attention, along with an opt-in client that
> periodically downloads the current list and matches it against user
> preferences and installed packages.

Here's an idea: what about a new type of WNPP bug, "Intent-To-Remove"?
An user interested in future releases is usually a contributor of sorts,
thus often has "devscripts" installed.  We already have rc-alert and
wnpp-alert, adding a cronjob that checks for new ITRs and mails you (once!)
if there's one that matches one of your installed package would require no
server-side changes and only a trivial copy client-side.  It'd obviously
need to be put into a package on its own (as "devscripts" shouldn't access
network by default), but "if [ -x /usr/bin/torify ]; then torify itr-alert;
else itr-alert; fi" is not exactly rocket surgery.

A maintainer would then file "ITR: dasher" and wait for responses before
requesting RM.

It'd be especially great for QA.  I have the following script:
.--====[ qarc ]
#!/bin/sh

rc-alert -dU \
          `wget -qO- http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned|
          sed -ne 's/.*<li><a href="https\?:\/\/bugs.debian.org\/\([0-9]*\)">\([^:<]*\)[: ]*\([^<]*\)<\/a>.*/O \1 \2 -- \3/; T d; p; : d'|
          cut -d' ' -f 3`
`----
and whenever I stare at its output, 95% entries make me think "would anyone
give a damn about this?", shrug and look away.

Once stretch is released, we'd file thousands of ITRs, listen to the
crickets for a bit, then greatly decruft the archive!  Without, there's no
knowing if we'd harm someone (although if popcon is 4 or so, that's probably
telling enough).

Meow!
--
A MAP07 (Dead Simple) raspberry tincture recipe: 0.5l 95% alcohol, 1kg
raspberries, 0.4kg sugar; put into a big jar for 1 month.  Filter out and