Re: Package name conflict question

Hi Ansgar,

Thanks for your reply.

I think this situation meets the condition.

The case of two programs having the same functionality but different implementations is handled via "alternatives" or the "Conflicts" mechanism.

These two programs having the same functionality - implementation of RFC6570; but they aren't compatible with each other.

--
Sun-Ze Lin  (林上智)

"SZ Lin (林上智)" <szlin@cs.nctu.edu.tw> writes:
> Although these packages are not API-compatible, they are using the
> same installation path and file name; therefore, I think "Conflict:"
> section is needed.

Note that Policy explicitly forbids using "Conflicts" in this case, see
the first paragraph in [1].

  [1] <https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-binaries>

Ansgar