Package name conflict question

Hi,

I want to package python library - *uritemplate* [1]; however, I found that  there is a same name package with similar function in Debian archive [3].

Despite these function are similar, the API seems like incompatible in each other. The reason why I want to package [1] is that because there are many popular utilities [4] [5] are depends on it.

Someone already asked the author of upstream about  duplicate issues [6], the author refused to rename his project .

Do you have any suggestion on it ?

ref:

[1]: https://github.com/sigmavirus24/uritemplate

[2]: https://github.com/uri-templates/uritemplate-py/