Re: A new tool for backward compatibility analysis of API/ABI interfaces in Deb packages

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:

> Then I would like to ask when we must think that we need a transition for a
> the package. If these test shows a binary compatibility of 99%, do we need to
> create a need soname bump and initiate a transition?

SONAMEs are generally a property of upstream and should generally not
be set by Debian, except for setting a Debian-specific SONAME where
our patches introduce an ABI change or where upstream does not yet set
a SONAME.

While we could probably develop a mechanism to check which packages in
Debian rely on parts of the ABI with incompatible changes, we can
never know which software outside Debian relies on those parts of the
ABI so I think we should almost always initiate a transition when we
detect incompatible changes.

--
bye,
pabs