Re: A new tool for backward compatibility analysis of API/ABI interfaces in Deb packages

El Dijous, 6 d'octubre de 2016, a les 15:23:10, Ponomarenko Andrey va
escriure:
> 06.10.2016, 07:54, "Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org>:
> > On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Ponomarenko Andrey wrote:
> >>  I'd like to present a new free tool for maintainers of software
> >> libraries — Package ABI Diff Tool (Pkg-ABIdiff). It's a tool for
> >> backward compatibility analysis of API/ABI interfaces in Deb packages.
> >> The tool is based on ABI Compliance Checker and ABI Dumper tools.>
> > Does this have any advantages over abipkgdiff from the abigail-tools
> > Debian package already in Debian?
> >
> > BTW, I think it would be really interesting to run
> > pkg-abidiff/abipkgdiff over the whole Debian archive and possibly use
> > that to inform the release team of uncaught ABI changes.
> >
> > --
> > bye,
> > pabs
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise
>
> I guess, checks for more compatibility rules, less false positives, visual
> reports, problem severity levels and separated analysis of both backward
> binary compatibility and backward source compatibility are main advantages
> of the pkg-abidiff. The disadvantage is that pkg-abidiff may not be as fast
> as abipkgdiff, because pkg-abidiff is written in Python, but abipkgdiff is
> written in C++.
>
> The tools are based on different software stacks. The pkg-abidiff is based
> on ABI Compliance Checker and ABI Dumper tools (https://github.com/lvc)
> developed since 2009. The abipkgdiff is based on libabigail developed since
> 2013. So, implementations and reports are completely different.
>
> Anyway, it's better to run both tools on all packages at the same time and
> verify reports of each other.

Then I would like to ask when we must think that we need a transition for a
the package. If these test shows a binary compatibility of 99%, do we need to
create a need soname bump and initiate a transition?

Best regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia