Re: libsystemd

On 2016-08-28 at 09:11, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> The Wanderer:
>
>> IMO this level of integration between things which are not mutually
>> interdependent is a minor bug in itself, but none of the
>> maintainers are going to agree with me on that.
>
> Actually, they might.  But this is a facet of the Debian build system
> in general, and not specific to systemd.

It's more egregious in the case of libsystemd than in many other cases,
because of the purpose of the package and the rarity with which changes
related to that package will appear in the changelog - but yes, this
isn't the _fault_ of systemd as such.

> You'll find a lot of packages in Debian where many binary packages
> are built from a single source package, and you'll see this same
> effect for many if not most of them. It's possible to have separate
> binary package changelogs within a single source tree.  But it's
> quite hard, and like other "unusual" things (such as building
> packages into the current directory) the Debian build system rather
> fights against it.

This is true, and even I am not entirely convinced that the benefit of
more readable / understandable (and less cluttered) changelogs would be
worth the effort which would have to be invested to achieve that result.

Having thought it through in a bit more detail, I wouldn't be surprised
if the nature of libsystemd would mean simply that there will _never_ be
a systemd changelog entry relevant to someone who uses only libsystemd
and not the rest of the suite - in which case the systemd sections of
the apt-listchanges report can simply be skipped over when only
libsystemd0 is being upgraded.

For the udev side of things the question is more difficult. I do think
that udev should not be built from the systemd source package, but
should be/have a separate source package of its own; however, my
understanding is that that's essentially a "this is how it's hosted /
maintained upstream" matter, and that upstream considers changing this
to be a nonstarter.

--
   The Wanderer