Re: removal instead of orphaning?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:34:29PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> > > I believe that orphanage is a burden to our community [...]
> >
> > Who is this a burden for?
> Transitions. Mandatory packaging changes, like python helper one.
> True, a package can get an RC bug and be removed during these processes
> but that requires more time and more effort

Both pro-active and reactive removals cost time and effort. I don't
think the difference is significant. But I don't have hard numbers. A
study on what method is best would cost time and effort in itself.

> and do we even remove orphaned packages if they have an RC bug?

Yes, packages with RC bugs are automatically removed from testing
nowadays.

> > If no-one used the package, then sure, the package is really useless.
> > But if at least some people are using it, it has value.
> Should unrelated people spend time on packages they don't care about?

No, that's why they are orphaned in the first place.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>