Re: Git Service for Debian (was Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian)

On വെള്ളി 29 ജൂലൈ 2016 09:10 വൈകു, Alexandre Viau wrote:
> On 29/07/16 11:36 AM, Julien Cristau wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 20:53:48 +0530, Balasankar C wrote:
>>> When did we (i.e Debian) finalize on using Pagure? I think, we should first fix
>>> a solution and then start working on that. Or, we would be going the same way
>>> as of GitLab.
>>>
>> That seems like a pretty failsafe way of never actually doing anything.

Let's agree to disagree. I have my concerns about wastage of
time/energy/archive space etc. Having to drop an effort (yes, speaking that
with my GitLab packager hat on) in midway and starting another with all good
hope, without even having a proper discussion is somewhat difficult to digest.

"Disagreeing to the concept on 'implementing an idea without any planning or
discussion' " is not same as "doing nothing".

> +1
>
> Feel free to keep discussing here if you think this is useful, but
> please lets move on with Pirate's request for shukra.debian.org.

Shukra was requested first for a GitLab instance. I can't understand why we are
ready to move on with the request now. Is it because this time it is Pagure and
not GitLab? In that case, when did we fix on Pagure? Or, is there any other reason?

I would like to have a proper discussion on what Git Service to use. I can see
wiki pages [1] started and would like DSA to specify our needs and weigh each
suggestion against these needs.

I helped Praveen in packaging GitLab and I intend to help him in packaging
Pagure. But I would rather have my doubts cleared before spending time and
energy on it.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/GitNext
--
Balasankar C